“Southwestern is one of the few jewels of the Southwest whose mission is to prepare a new generation to contribute to a changing society, and to prosper in their jobs, whatever and wherever in the world they may be.“
– Colleges That Change Lives
1001 East University Avenue
Georgetown, Texas 78626
512.863.1200 / 800.252.3166
⋅ 12:1 student-to-faculty ratio
⋅ 91% of first-year students are from Texas and 9% are from other states outside of Texas
⋅ Students from 33 states and 11 nations are represented on campus.
⋅ Underrepresented student groups constitute about 45% of the student body.
⋅ Room and Board: $11,170
⋅ Southwestern considers every individual student’s needs when it comes to financial assistance. We partner with students and their families to explore every possible financing option available, whether it’s assistance in the form of scholarships, grants, work-study, low interest loans or payment plans. FAFSA submission deadline is March 1, except for Early Decision candidates who must submit a FAFSA by December 1.
- Academics are central to the Southwestern Experience. Students have numerous opportunities to work collaboratively with professors, who are both innovative teachers and leaders in their respective fields of research. For example, Southwestern’s Inquiry Initiative transforms the teaching of science and math at Southwestern University to incorporate the process of discovery at all levels and to generate a creative, accomplished, and diverse pool of future scientists. SCOPE and EQUIP are two programs included in Southwestern’s Inquiry Initiative. SCOPE is an 8-week summer research program including a student-faculty collaborative experience conducting research in biology, chemistry/biochemistry, kinesiology, math/computer science, and physics. EQUIP is a skill-building program for first-years that gives them an academic jump-start during the summer.
- Southwestern is located in historic Georgetown, Texas, just north of Austin, and within a three-hour drive of three of the nation’s 10 largest cities (Dallas, Houston and San Antonio).
- In a rapidly changing world, the ability to adapt is critical. With an education grounded in the liberal arts, Southwestern students bring the skills that modern employers value most in graduates: the ability to think critically, communicate clearly and solve complex problems.
- Southwestern is a four-year, independent, undergraduate, national liberal arts college consisting of The Brown College of Arts and Sciences and The Sarofim School of Fine Arts.
- Chartered by the Republic of Texas in 1840, Southwestern is the first institution of higher learning in Texas and is affiliated with the United Methodist Church.
- U.S. News and World Report ranks Southwestern in the Top 100 national liberal arts colleges. Southwestern is the only undergraduate liberal arts institution from Texas selected by The Princeton Review for its 200 Colleges that Pay You Back. They also rated SU 12th in the nation and number one in the state of Texas for Best Career Services, and named us number one in Texas on its Best Schools for Making an Impact list. Washington Monthly ranks Southwestern first among Texas liberal arts colleges, and in the top 100 nationwide based on our contribution to the public good. Forbes “America’s Top Colleges” ranks Southwestern #199 in private colleges in the country and #83 on its Grateful Grad College list. The Fiske Guide to Colleges features Southwestern as one of 44 Best Buy colleges and universities in the country.
- Life is interconnected. Your education should be interconnected, too. Paideia is our innovative curriculum promoting interdisciplinary study. In short, Paideia is about connections, bringing together multiple perspectives from different disciplines to explore real-life problems. Paideia is the perfect embodiment of the liberal arts, empowering students to think in broader, more collaborative, more original ways.
- We have Pirate Bikes! Pirate Bikes are a Southwestern fixture and are scattered across campus ready to ride anytime, day or night. Whether you are an avid cyclist or a rookie, bright yellow Pirate Bikes are a fun way to move you around campus.
- Southwestern is named one of the 353 most environmentally responsible colleges according to The Princeton Review. Southwestern has also taken top honors in the Environmental Protection Agency’s Green Power Challenge for using 100 percent wind power electricity. Other sustainable initiatives include LEED certified buildings, campus-wide composting and recycling, electing car charging stations, and a community garden – just to name a few.
- Southwestern students bring a larger perspective, because many have been exposed to a larger world. About 45 percent of our students study abroad, across all majors, and all across the world – from traditional locations such as England, France and Italy – to less traditional destinations like South Africa, Nepal and China.
- Community-engaged learning is at the core of a Southwestern education. About 55 percent of Southwestern students volunteer and contribute nearly 22,000 hours of service each year. Working with more than 100 local organizations, our students volunteer in the community at a rate of more than twice the national average. By engaging in the community, we’re helping to change lives. And in the process, our lives are changed, too.
- Forget the 300-seat classrooms. Here at Southwestern, you’ll study in small classes averaging just 12 students. In this more intimate, more active learning environment, you’ll engage, you’ll discuss, you’ll debate, you’ll connect – and, as a result, you’ll thrive.
- In 2016, Southwestern completed Phase I of a $37 million Science Center. Phase I contains 24,000 square feet of new space dedicated to teaching laboratories, student-faculty research areas, collaborative study spaces and a state-of-the-art $500,000 nuclear magnetic resonance imaging instrument. Phase II, containing 58,000 square feet of space for teaching laboratories, with additional student-faculty research space, a leadership center and more, is set to be complete in 2019.
- Southwestern faculty are nationally recognized experts in their fields. They are also caring mentors who work alongside their students, sharing valuable advice, guidance and experience. These close mentoring relationships distinguish a Southwestern education. And if you come here, they will help to distinguish you.
- Southwestern students are able to engage in research as undergraduates. Working across a wide variety of areas, ranging from breast cancer to genetic sequencing to ecology, our students are not only conducting research, but they often have the opportunity to publish and present, as well. Each year, Southwestern students and faculty take a day off for the Research and Creative Works Symposium. This Symposium is a day-long celebration of the work of our students, faculty, and staff. Southwestern aims for diversity in the presentations to provide an opportunity for everyone to engage in conversations on thought-provoking topics, to question our own perspectives, and to see the world from a multi-faceted view.
- Our Honor Code creates a unique bond of trust among our students and faculty. Our students write and sign the honor pledge when completing every exam, paper, and assignment. It’s a reminder for us all – of how we should work, and who we should be.
- Students may earn Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Music, or Bachelor of Fine Arts or Bachelor of Science in Education degrees.
Animal Studies *
Architecture and Design Studies *
Data Science *
Exercise and Sports Sciences *
Health Studies *
Latin American & Border Studies
Race and Ethnicity Studies *
* Minor Only
Pre-Dentistry Pre Dentistry
Pre-Engineering Pre Engineering
Pre-Law Pre Law
Pre-Medicine Pre Medicine
Pre-Ministry Pre Ministry
Pre-Physical Therapy Pre Physical Therapy
Pre-Veterinary Medicine Pre Veterinary Medicine
- Southwestern’s tree-shaded campus is everything you can imagine when you dream about college, and then some. Grand buildings radiate around the heart of the campus offering a spacious sports and recreational center, research laboratories, two live performance theaters, an observatory and a community garden. In total, 70 percent of students live in roomy, on-campus apartments or residence halls, which include wireless internet, cable TV and housekeeping service.
- Southwestern Pirates compete in NCAA Division III basketball, cross country, golf, lacrosse, soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field, men’s baseball and football, and women’s volleyball and softball. Intramural and club sports include handball, rock climbing, ultimate frisbee and dodgeball, to name a few.
- Over 100 student organizations: scholastic and honorary, government, special interest and departmental. Greek organizations include Alpha Delta Pi, Alpha Kappa Alpha, Alpha Xi Delta, Delta Delta Delta, Kappa Delta Chi and Zeta Tau Alpha for women; Kappa Alpha, Kappa Sigma, Phi Delta Theta and Pi Kappa Alpha for men.
- Friday Night Live: From internationally known performers to homegrown singer/songwriters, Friday nights at Southwestern are a big deal! Entertainment comes in all forms including illusionists, magicians, jugglers, comedians, slam poets, casino nights, mentalists, ventriloquists, movie nights and bands/artists covering a multitude of musical genres like pop, folk, country, bluegrass, Latin, fusion, rock punk, indie, zydeco, hip-hop and blues, just to name a few.
- SoundWave — Southwestern’s SoundWave is one of the best little music festivals in the area. Offering a little something for everyone, SoundWave lineups have included AWOLNATION, Sleigh Bells, Matt & Kim, The Decemberists, Common, CAKE, Wyclef Jean, Newfound Glory, Plain White T’s, BØRNS, and Aluna George.
Southwestern University fields 20 varsity teams, competing at the NCAA Division III level as a member of the Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference (football is a member of the American Southwest Conference). Southwestern offers a full athletic experience, as more than 80 percent of our students participate in intercollegiate athletics, intramurals or club sports.
20 varsity teams in the NCAA Division III, Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference:
Track and Field
- The results are impressive! Post-Graduate Survey data for 2011-2016 reveal that 92% of graduates were either employed, attending medical, law and other professional schools, or pursuing advanced studies.
- Students begin thinking about their futures as early as their first year, and can use the Career Center to access internships and externships, career advising, graduate and professional school resources, personality/interest assessments, interview and résumé skill building, dress for success and dining etiquette workshops, job fairs and networking. It must be why Princeton Review rated Southwestern #4 in the country and #1 in Texas for best Career Services.
- Middle 50% on the SAT 1120-1300 (scores based on recentered scale)
- Middle 50% on the ACT 23-29
- Of those providing a class rank, 37% were in the top 10% of their high school class.
- Of those providing a class rank, 73% were in the top 25% of their high school class.