“Ralph Waldo Emerson said an institution is the lengthening shadow of one man — or woman. What has happened and is happening at Denison proves it. The change in ambience and ethos is palpable. It is a place where good things are happening and a new spirit is in the air … It is first rate.“
– Colleges That Change Lives
⋅ 9:1 student-to-faculty ratio
⋅ Ethnically and geographically diverse student body from 50 states and 56 countries
⋅ More than 80% come from outside of Ohio.
⋅ Housing & Meals: $13,050
⋅ Denison meets full financial need for all students.
⋅ All admission applicants are considered for merit-based scholarships.
⋅ Merit scholarships range from $5,000 to full tuition for all four years.
- Independent, coeducational, residential college of liberal arts and sciences founded in 1831
- Following four years of rigorous academics, hands-on experiences, and personalized coaching and skills training through our career center, every student leaves campus eager to turn intellect into action.
- Picturesque 900-acre hillside campus with 360-acre Biological Reserve located in a quaint Midwestern village just 25 minutes from the 14th largest city in the nation—Columbus, Ohio.
- Innovative academic programs include data analytics; financial economics; global commerce; global health; health, exercise, and sport studies; politics, and public affairs; and narrative journalism, among many others.
- Denison spends $600K annually to fund internships for students and Denison’s Internship Program, through the Austin E. Knowlton Center for Career Exploration, allows students to take advantage of internship opportunities beginning their first year.
- The Michael D. Eisner Center for the Performing Arts offers state-of-the-art facilities for the departments of music, dance, and theater.
- 99% of full-time faculty hold the most advanced degree in their field; there are no teaching assistants.
- Our faculty are true mentors, guiding students to explore their passions and achieve their potential by focusing on engagement, so our students gain critical-thinking, creative problem-solving, and exceptional communication skills.
- Denison offers more than 50 academic majors, minors, concentrations, and academic programs.
Majors, Minors, and Concentrations
Anthropology & Sociology
Art History & Visual Culture
East Asian Studies
English (Creative Writing)
Health, Exercise, & Sport Studies
Individually Designed Major
Latin American & Caribbean Studies
Middle East & North African Studies
Music (Bluegrass Emphasis)
Music (Composition Emphasis)
Music (History Emphasis)
Music (Performance Emphasis)
Philosophy, Politics and Economics
Politics & Public Affairs
Sociology & Anthropology
Women’s and Gender Studies
- Wide variety of housing options ranging from apartment-style residence halls to alternate energy buildings
- 160+ student-lead organizations give students plenty of options, and there’s always a concert, game, lecture, or performance to see. Plus our students are social—so sometimes they simply just hang out with friends.
- Denison has 26 highly competitive varsity teams and competes in the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) league.
- While our students love being on our campus, a part most Denisonians experiences is to leave it. With 200+ off-campus study programs, it is no surprise that Denison students leave with a global perspective.
NCAA Division III, North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC):
Basketball (Men, Women)
Cross Country (Men, Women)
Field Hockey (Women)
Golf (Men, Women)
Lacrosse (Men, Women)
Soccer (Men, Women)
Squash (Men, Women)
Swimming & Diving (Men, Women)
Tennis (Men, Women)
Track & Field (Indoor/Outdoor) (Men, Women)
Denison’s Austin E. Knowlton Center for Career Exploration is one of the finest career-preparation services in the country. Our 16 personal career coaches help students identify and pursue internships, scholarships, fellowships, and more, in addition to honing their interview, professional writing, and networking skills. Five years after graduation, 99% of Denison alumni are employed or in graduate school, with more than 96% of them working in their desired field or position.
- 28% Admission Rate
- Denison has a test-optional admission policy.
- SAT (Reading + Math) middle 50%: 1220-1420
- ACT middle 50%: 28-32