“Everyone should know about Centre. The creativity and flexibility and encouragement the school gives you to craft your experience – it’s indescribable. It can be as fantastic as you want it to be.“
– Colleges That Change Lives
During this uncertain time, we know that remaining connected and informed is important. We invite you to check out the many resources available on Centre’s website, including our whole suite of virtual programming. You are welcome to schedule an in-person visit to campus, take a live student-led virtual tour, meet your Centre Admission Counselor, and request more information.
600 West Walnut Street
Danville, Kentucky 40422
859.238.5350 / 800.423.6236
⋅ 10:1 student-to-faculty ratio
⋅ Average class size: 18
⋅ Maximum class size: 30
⋅ 53% in-state, 47% out-of-state
⋅ 42 states and 14 countries represented
⋅ 9 in 10 students receive financial assistance to attend Centre.
⋅ The average need-based award for last year’s first-year students was nearly two-thirds of the comprehensive fee. The range was $5,000 to full cost with an average out-of-pocket cost of just over $18,000.
⋅ Renewable competitive merit scholarships are available for more than half of each first-year class, worth from $2,500 all the way to full-ride-plus.
⋅ Centre offers 3 premier scholarship programs recognizing 30 students (10 per program) in each incoming class. These programs provide full-need-plus and full-ride-plus scholarships with no separate application required.
⋅ For up-to-date scholarship information and separate scholarship applications, see our scholarship page.
- Private college founded in 1819
- Ranked #52 Liberal Arts College in U.S. (U.S. News 2020)
- Located in historic Danville, 30 miles from Lexington in the famed Bluegrass region of central Kentucky, Centre is 85 miles from Louisville, 120 from Cincinnati, 140 from Knoxville, 200 from Nashville, 230 from Columbus, and 375 from Atlanta and Chicago.
- Nearly 85% of Centre students have studied abroad by the time they graduate. Centre was recently ranked #4 in the nation for study abroad participation among baccalaureate institutions (Open Doors 2019).
- #30 for Best Undergraduate Teaching (U.S. News 2020)
- The College’s exceptional value has been noted regularly by publications such as U.S. News & World Report, Princeton Review, Parade, and the Fiske Guide.
- Ranked #5 Best College for the Money (College Factual)
- The Alumni Factor ranks Centre #1 for graduate happiness. This combined with Centre’s #10 ranking for “Alumni Giving” by U.S. News indicates that the Centre experience is truly exceptional by the people who know it best.
- The Centre Commitment: All students who meet the College’s academic and social expectations are guaranteed an internship or a research experience, study abroad, and graduation in four years. If a student is unable to secure the components of the Centre Commitment within four consecutive years of enrollment, the College will provide up to an additional year of additional study tuition-free.
- Centre students regularly receive top national awards, including the Gates, Rhodes, Fulbright, Goldwater, Rotary scholarships.
- At least 67 alumni are in the Peace Corps, one currently in Morocco; 3 currently on faculty.
- There are no teaching assistants.
- #11 Most Accessible Professors (Princeton Review)
- Over 50 majors, minors, pre-professional programs, and dual-degree programs. Approximately 25% of students double-major.
- Education, engineering, and nursing degrees are available through partnerships with several major universities.
- Pre-professional programs: Pre-Dentistry, Pre-Engineering, Pre-Law, Pre-M.B.A., Pre-Med, Pre-Nursing Pre-Optometry, Pre-Pharmacy, Pre-Physical Therapy, Pre-Physician Assistant, Pre-Social Work, Pre-Teaching Certification, Pre-Veterinary
Art (Studio Art)
Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
Economics & Finance
African & African American Studies
Art (Studio Art)
Latin American Studies
Pre-Dentistry Pre Dentistry
Pre-Law Pre Law
Pre-M.B.A. Pre M.B.A.
Pre-Med Pre Med
Pre-Nursing Pre Nursing
Pre-Optometry Pre Optometry
Pre-Pharmacy Pre Pharmacy
Pre-Physical Therapy Pre P
Pre-Veterinary Pre Veterinary
Plus opportunities to earn advanced degrees in education, engineering, and nursing through partnership agreements with several major universities
- 98% of all students live on campus.
- Over 85 campus organizations with over 2,000 campus events each year
- Campus participation: 40% arts (stage or studio), 40% varsity athletics, 80% community service
- 80% student participation in athletics with 15 intramural sports with 23 varsity teams (11 men’s, 12 women’s) in the NCAA Division III, Southern Athletic Association
- Residence halls of every type, from traditional 2-person dorm rooms or suites to townhouses or apartments
23 varsity teams (11 men’s, 12 women’s) in the NCAA Division III, Southern Athletic Association:
Cheer and Stunt
Field Hockey (Women)
Swimming and Diving
Track and Field
- Within 10 months of graduation, 97% of the Centre graduates who report (on average) are either employed or engaged in advance study.
- Top 10 college for alumni pursuing graduate school (U.S. News 2019). Entrance to top graduate and professional schools (including Harvard, Yale, Chicago, M.I.T., Oxford, and Cambridge) positions.
- Class of 2018 First Destinations Survey Results: 68% Employed, 29% Enrolled in Graduate School, 2% Still Seeking, 1% Applying to Graduate School
- Beginning in Fall 2020, Centre has adopted a test-optional application policy.
- SAT mid-range: 1200-1390
- ACT mid-range: 26-32