“Ralph Waldo Emerson said an institution is the lengthening shadow of one man — or woman. What has happened and is happening at Denison proves it. The change in ambience and ethos is palpable. It is a place where good things are happening and a new spirit is in the air … It is first rate.“
– Colleges That Change Lives
⋅ 9:1 student-to-faculty ratio
⋅ Ethnically and geographically diverse student body from 50 states and territories, the District of Columbia, and 40 countries
⋅ More than 80% come from outside of Ohio.
⋅ Room and Board: $12,330
⋅ All admission applicants are considered for merit-based scholarships.
⋅ Merit scholarships range from $5,000 to full tuition all four years.
- Independent, coeducational, residential college of liberal arts and sciences founded in 1831
- Intellectually challenging Summer Scholars Research Program exists for highly motivated students interested in pursuing original research opportunities.
- Picturesque 900-acre hillside campus with 360-acre Biological Reserve located in a quaint Midwestern village just 25 minutes from the state’s thriving capital
- New academic programs include global commerce, data analytics, financial economics, narrative journalism, and health, exercise and sport studies.
- Denison Internship Program offers more than 300 sites across the country for career exploration during the summer.
- The brand-new Michael D. Eisner Center for the Performing Arts will open in 2019, offering state-of-the-art facilities for the departments of music, dance, and theater.
- 100% of full-time faculty hold the most advanced degree in their field; there are no teaching assistants.
- Faculty are both teachers and scholars, and they are frequent recipients of prestigious awards.
- Denison offers 53 academic majors and 4 pre-professional programs.
Majors, Minors, and Concentrations
Anthropology & Sociology
Art History & Visual Culture
East Asian Studies
English (Creative Writing)
Health, Exercise, & Sport Studies
Individually Designed Major
Music (Bluegrass Emphasis)
Music (Composition Emphasis)
Music (History Emphasis)
Music (Performance Emphasis)
Philosophy, Politics and Economics
Sociology & Anthropology
Women’s and Gender Studies
- Wide variety of housing options ranging from apartment-style residence halls to alternate energy buildings
- 160+ student-run organizations offer leadership and organizational skills training.
- 75% of students participate in varsity or recreational sports.
- Denison has won 15 North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) All-Sports championships since 1984.
- More than 85 selective academic off-campus study programs abroad and in the U.S.
NCAA Division III, North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC):
Basketball (Men, Women)
Cross Country (Men, Women)
Field Hockey (Women)
Golf (Men, Women)
Lacrosse (Men, Women)
Soccer (Men, Women)
Swimming & Diving (Men, Women)
Tennis (Men, Women)
Track & Field (Indoor/Outdoor) (Men, Women)
Denison’s Austin E. Knowlton Center for Career Exploration is one of the finest career-preparation services in the country. Counselors help students identify and pursue internships, scholarships, fellowships, and more, in addition to honing their interview, professional writing, and networking skills. Five years after graduation, 99% of Denison alumni are employed or in graduate school, with more than 90% of them working in their desired field or position. 93% of alumni are satisfied with how well Denison prepared them for professional success after college.
- SAT (Reading + Math) middle 50%: 1200-1380
- ACT middle 50%: 28-31
- Denison has a test-optional admission policy.